Re: [SergentEng] Re: Coupler Strength

Christopher Zurek

The Sergent website has a guest book but no forum.

I seem to remember a thread about Sergent coupler strength possibly on The Atlas Rescue Forum.

Chris Z.

On 4/26/2014 12:03 AM, Lester Brandt wrote:

Nathan, I just went to the Sergent web site & now cannot find the discussion I remember.  Also searched the web for "Sergent coupler strength test" & cannot yet find the info I remember.  From memory, it was a description of adding cars & locos up to the point of being ridiculous without any failures. The search tonight did find a report of a failure on a club layout where a sergent knuckle opened on a heavy train.  Did find a question response by Frank Sergent on http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/162661.aspx
Les Brandt
On Friday, April 25, 2014 11:36 PM, "davesnyder59@..." wrote:

Spen, I don't believe the couplers have much to do with stringlining. I had it happen with both Kadee and Sergents. Basically it occurs when the forces holding the car on the track are exceeded by the forces pulling to the front and the forces pulling from the rest of the train. The curve radius is involved as well. My curve in this case is 36" It almost always occurred when I got into one of my "how many cars will these baby's pull" moods. A couple of times playing 52 pickup usually got me over that.

Dave Snyder
Louisville, Ky.