Re: Remote Decoupling

Brian

I think you blokes are making mountains out of mould hills, for starters where are you going to hide this equipment on a empty flat car or in a empty gondola?? plus there are a lot of "what ifs" trying to use a complex system, not to mention the cost, if you stop and consider for awhile, you are not going to be making cuts in a train at random locations along the main line, you are going to be only making cuts at certain locations such as at a siding where you need to detach a car into the siding, so in other words at a "set" location, likewise at depots where you maybe changing locomotives, again at a "set" location, concepts and theories are wonderful thoughts, but they're not always practical, there's an old saying in industry, "stick with the KISS program", KISS stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid"

Brian
Rawbelle County Workshops
Qld. Aust.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2021 5:10 AM
To: SergentEngineering@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Sergent Engineering] Remote Decoupling

Does Nitinol have a limited working life?

Andy

On 3/7/2021 8:19 AM, George Hofmann wrote:
Wow! Now you're talking!
I was going to suggest the Nitinol wire as an actuator solution. Nice to see that you are ahead of me on that.
Regarding the air hose connection I was thinking that the metal coupler would be adequate. It of course requires that a wire be connected to it somehow which is a little issue. There is the possibility of combining the two connection ideas such that a return circuit is available. This would negate track pickups in each car which is huge.
Also since I published this idea I realized that a simple pulse train could be improved on. Instead send a train of pulses synchronized with the DCC signal as a multibit message containing a header, a byte representing the car count, followed by a CRC. This could be sent many times for redundancy.
Processing in each car could be handled by a small microcontroller such as an ATtiny85.
The idea of triggering sounds from the cars is brilliant! Hearing a coupling sound coming from the loco when the actual action was 5 cars back forced me to turn off the sound.
Pretty sure you are on the right track so to speak. Carry on.

George
Edgewood WA

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Join SergentEngineering@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.