I build a few of each coupler at a time and then keep the assembled couplers in another container. Then I switch to locomotives and rolling stock and do a few installations. I have to break up the monotony because I was diagnosed as borderline ADD about 20 years ago...I can't build a lot at one time.

For other types of couplers (Type F, Type H, Type SBE) I only built those as I need them. I still keep all the parts in separate labeled pill containers.

Chris Z.

On 4/20/2014 10:43 AM, Scaler164@... wrote:

Excellent advice.  I've had to adopt a similar pattern to battle the monotony.

John Degnan

From: davesnyder59@...
To: SergentEng@...
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2014 11:13:58 AM
Subject: [SergentEng] Re: Taking the Plunge

Hi Nathan, and Holiday Greetings. It's difficult not to get excited about these couplers. But you run the risk of over taxing your self and losing the enjoyment of a job well done. I suggest you clean, scrape and file maybe 5 or 10 at a time and then begin assembly. I've got a jig, but usually just use 3 or 4 slide locking needlepoint  tweezers. One tweezer on flat surface to hold the back of shank for assembly. Fit the ballbearing, knuckle, and top cover and then use a 2nd tweezer to grasp and slide lock the coupler as close as you can to the back base of coupler on the shank. That will leave you room to put a drop of thin or medium ACC on the pin and hole and let it infiltrate in the shank. You just want a drop big enough to cover the pin and the edge of the hole. Then start on the next one. You will develop a rhythm after a while. Fresh ACC  will set up in five or so minutes, so you can just keep going until you finish each batch. Then just test, inspect, lubricate and work in each one. Then I relieve the monotony by painting the couplers or installing some into locos/cars.  You run the risk of getting burnt out and detesting the process if you just gotta do the marathon. Rome wasn't built in one day, and its still beautiful.

Dave Snyder
Louisville, Ky.