1:8 H Couplers

Nathan Rich

Thought you guys might enjoy this, I upscaled the H coupler to 1:8 scale, for 7 1/2" gauge. I wanted to test the theory, because I wanted to use a correct H coupler on the front of a PA locomotive a friend is  building.

I upscaled the files Mr. Sergent graciously provided us by 1087.5%, and printed then in PLA with 20% infill. I do not expect these to be actually used, I wanted to make sure they would mate with commercially available couplers (Shown here a Live Steam Products standard E coupler). This just proves how accurate the couplers Mr. Sergent made are. I'm certainly impressed.

For the ball, I used a 1/2" steel bearing, and the holes you can see are for using a Sergent pick to uncouple just like the HO version. With a little tweaking with a drill here and there, these things work great. They couple reliably every time!

For the one to go on the actual locomotive, I'll need to 3D print it at 100% infill or figure out a way to cast it in aluminum or brass, and possibly use a different mechanism for the knuckle. It needs to be able to be used in an unusual circumstance, but normally it should be on the front looking cool.

Cheers,
Nathan Rich