Re: Well, that was quick...

William Uffelman

Proto couplers are not painted so you can see cracks.

Bill Uffelman

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 3:13 PM, Tim L
<tim@...> wrote:
Why do people paint their couplers rusty? While I don't know of any US
freight wagon photo galleries to study a cursory image search seem to
suggest that while a few do appear rusty most seem to just be dirty with
road grime. I imagine that while a railroad themselves may not paint the
coupler in some instances they would be painted ex factory anyway.

Just seems strange to see all those wagons I've seen with Sergents have
"bright" rusty couplers in contrast to the rest of the weathering but I
suppose that could come from the practice that couplers are painted the
same colour as the end sill / underframe here and weather the same as
rest of the wagon. But I digress...

I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not before but while looking
at coupler pics I stumbled across this. Someone is offering 3D printed
dummy Sergents (E and H). It may be of use to someone.

https://www.ho3dim.com/ho-scale-couplers

- Tim