Re: [SergentEng] Re: Effect of dampness on steel balls

Christopher Zurek

Jim,

The undec IMRC R-70-23 reefer kits were released a few years ago, I have two of them.

From what I understand about the RTR reefers, they are/were set up for Kadee 78 couplers so they have that strange center post on the coupler boxes. IMRC was supposed to change it so it could take Kadee 158 couplers, which would be the same as Sergent compatible shank couplers.
I just checked my spread sheet and I have 10 of them. One from the first run and 9 from later runs. I haven't taken the coupler boxes apart on any of them to see how Sergent couplers would fit.

Chris Z.

On 4/17/2014 11:46 PM, James Lackner wrote:

Jason:

From what I can tell, the IM 57' Mech kit has not been released yet, so sez my local hobby shop.

Now, for the pre-built IMs, has anyone successfully installed Sergent couplers in one yet?  I start into it, but stop at the sound of popping and cracking plastic sounds!

Jim Lackner

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Jason McKee <jdmkee@...> wrote:

I too love assembling kits, and strangely enough I love assembling the sergent couplers.  I have only been looking for one kit at the moment, and that is an intermountain r70-20 undec refer, no one has them anywhere. But if I can find a kit that fits my 1990-1996 era for the right price then I buy it.  As far as the steel ball goes, I have not had any issues what so ever, and living in Brisbane we get some really good humidity changes which cause great issues with my glasses fogging up.  in fact the only problem I have had was when I used my fingers to put them in (only did it on my first few).  The ball stays stuck down or up, so from now on I always use tweezers to insert the ball and make sure the couplers are spotless with no flash or debris anywhere, needless to say  don’t have any issues now,  will have to pull apart the old ones and clean them up to free the ball again.

Live and learn

Jason McKee