From: "Tom Colasurdo via Groups.Io" <t_colasurdo@...>
Date: 3/11/20 7:41 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "SergentEngineering@groups.io" <sergentengineering@groups.io>, SergentEngineering@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Sergent Engineering] Couplers

Should have mention Frank and I were only discussing the material utilized in the latest versions of his couplers ... not the original couplers.  I defer to anyone with that knowledge ...

V/r,
Tom C.

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020, 07:29:57 PM EDT, Tom Colasurdo via Groups.Io <t_colasurdo@...> wrote:

Thank you Steve ... this Group has been so friendly and helpful that I don't want to see any strife created ... we all have the same goal of keeping Frank's amazing couplers available for those that choose to utilize on their models.  Sharing our collective knowledge and experiences of these couplers will certainly help move this effort forward ... even if we have different portions or conflicting information ... all part of the journey.

I stand by that post ... if necessary I can dig out and post the complete e-mail; but rest assured, all I did was parrot the information I received by copying and pasting (least amount of effort) from the e-mail I received from Frank.

That being said, I have no problem with exploring suitable materials ... I'm just hoping we solve the problem at hand - making Frank's amazing couplers available again in a material that meets the needs of those of us that operate our models.

Have a great day.

V/r,
Tom C.

On Wednesday, March 11, 2020, 01:43:54 PM EDT, Steve Wintner via Groups.Io <steve_wintner@...> wrote:

https://groups.io/g/SergentEngineering/message/1962

Frank uses a Zinc alloy, per that post.

Steve

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 6:32, Tim L
<tim@...> wrote:
Franks original couplers were cast in pewter. No bad reflection on Frank
as it's how he started and you have to start somewhere but the couplers
were just ...a pain to work with and the strength of the parts dubious
and I gave up on them in pretty short order (I still have a fresh
unopened pack of them, do we have a Sergent museum anywhere?). I came
back to them once Frank had started doing them diecast and investment
cast in zinc (Frank uses pure zinc from memory, not zamac which is an
alloy of zinc and aluminium).

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying to do them spun cast in
pewter, just giving you the history that we've been there before so you
can make a better informed judgement on your business planning.

- Tim