Re: Couplers

Mike Conder

Frank, are those couplers shown 3D printed in wax for lost wax casting?

And Kevin, great work, did you do that on a resin printer?  If so, which resin did you use?

Mike Conder

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 8:56 PM Frank Sergent <fsergent@...> wrote:
Hey Kevin, looks like you are getting very close. Go look at the pictures in the sergent engineering groupsio page “Treeing 3D prints”. Look at the IMG_1095.jpg picture. All the 3D models are designed so they can be 3D printed with no support structure. I’m convinced that you don’t have to go to investment cast metal with the resins that are available today. You may have to modify the coupler designs slightly to beef up the cross section of the shanks where the hole that receives the “rivet” from the bottom part fits. Also, all my 3D model files have pre-distorted knuckle hinge pins that allowed the final product to come out correctly on my printer. You’ll have to modify the design in that area to give predictable geometry from your printer. Also, a good UV curing process is very important to get usable parts whether you are investment casting or not. Congratulations!

Frank

Sent: Monday, January 06, 2020 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Sergent Engineering] Couplers

Jeff - I did use dry graphite when I put the ball in, and it helped.  The knuckle could certainly use some of it.  I'll give that a shot on the next set I assemble.

-Kevin

Join SergentEngineering@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.