Re: (topic was Frank) New topic - progress is being made

George

Those look great, Tom.

George Sebastian-Coleman

On Apr 28, 2019, at 10:55 AM, Tom Colasurdo via Groups.Io <t_colasurdo@...> wrote:

All:

Let Frank weigh in on the crowd funding idea for a 3-D printer ... no sense speculating, or setting parameters.

I don't know Frank other than the e-mails we have exchanged and the posts on the Groups.io site, but I have sensed that his family or business or both are requiring larger amounts of his time ... and both are reasonable priorities in anyone's life.

Do not despair at the additional work now required of us ... Frank created an amazing product that all of us on this site desire.  Frank also provided his intellectual property in the form of 3-D electronic files ... when's the last time IBM, GE, Microsoft, Apple, etc did that ?  The beauty of having these files is we can modify to create never before available couplers ... let your imagination wander ... this can be fun if you let it.

Short of someone coming forth to purchase Frank's coupler business, we have to set our minds on what we desire and how to achieve that within our means.

I'm not making any promises today, and I'm not offering another's time without their permission ... so please be patient, and I'll let everyone interested know exactly what I've been up to.  Model railroading is a community, and it's amazing how often strangers become friends and mentors.  True networking is often mistaken for chance ... but I do not believe in chance.

I've attached the first samples of 3-D printed parts from Frank's S scale coupler files ... there is hope.

I have a day job, and a family ... I typically check e-mail once a day (after work on week days, and morning on weekends), so please be patient if you post or send me an e-mail.  In this microwave society I understand that self governance and control are in short supply ... I have no malice relative to my modeling, and my only agenda is to figure out how to obtain the needed parts for my modeling in the environment which we find ourselves ... so please, do not create a narrative in your mind and type for all to consume ... way too much of that in this day and age.

Have a great day ... more to follow.

V/r,
Tom C.

On Sunday, April 28, 2019, 7:14:31 AM CDT, Todd Fisher <tftrainman1@...> wrote:

Nathan I would definitely be on board with helping to pay for new molds if it meant getting to at least keep the long shanks going. I understand the others have to be done investment cast due to the higher detail on them and would love to see them back as well but Id be satisfied with some long shanks as a very large majority of what I still need to convert are cushioning cars and long cars.

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019, 4:30 AM Tim L <tim@...> wrote:
John,

I wasn't advocating that we should crowd fund Frank a 3D printer, I was
trying to lightheartedly point out that *if* crowdfunding for Frank was
something that happened then a 3D printer that "worked" (as opposed to a
3D printer that doesn't work like he has now) would be a more viable
proposition than a set of steel molds for diecasting a single coupler.
Frank fully intends for us to use his drawings to make couplers, that's
why he's given the drawings to us - he wants us (us = hobby in general)
to continue the couplers into the future long after he's done with it
all. How well we (as a hobby) succeed in that is another matter.

Mark,

I wasn't trying to slap down Nathan's idea, just pointing out the likely
realities of the outcome of a set of steel molds considering Frank would
have already done the homework on the cost recovery front. Don't get me
wrong, I don't want Frank to stop, at least not until I've worked out
how to do it all (probably years!) as I need some speciality couplers still.

Noting your location, good to see another person from down here using
Sergents; your only the third or fourth person in this country that I
know of using them.

- Tim

On 28/04/2019 15:56, John Larkin via Groups.Io wrote:
> Just as a suggestion, how about we let Frank decide if he would like to
> have a better 3D printer for him to make coupler parts or would he
> prefer (because of time for smaller lots, for example) to let another
> party use his drawings to make parts for the low run specialty parts?
> It might then be easier to set up a small corporation (of whatever type,
> C, S, etc.) and those who'd like to pitch in could own stock in the
> company.  The individual who is willing to make parts with it could be
> granted additional shares for the time, and then even get some added
> funds if the printer was used to make additional model railroad items
> that required time.  I'm trying to avoid saddling somebody with the
> burden of learning how to do 3D printing, then making and shipping
> parts, etc., without at least offering them something in return.
>
> This is just an idea and I'm not trying to say this is a final solution,
> only one idea that might work.  I'm sure you guys would have better
> ideas so consider this a start.  Those who put money in could receive
> some compensation, or it might be in parts, of just good hearted
> helping, whatever is fair and works for everybody.
>
> John Larkin

<S scale coupler body left side.JPG><S scale coupler body right side.JPG><S scale coupler bottom view.JPG><S scale coupler end view.JPG><S scale coupler top view.JPG><S scale fitted piece  left side.JPG><S scale fitted piece bottom view.JPG><S scale fitted piece right side.JPG><S scale fitted piece top view.JPG>