Re: Frank

Todd Fisher

Ok that helps put it in perspective, it would be nice to see those longer shanks be able to be made that way but also in general it'd be nice to eventually see everything come back in stock. I know you're working on attempting to and for those of us still dedicated to using your line I do appreciate it.

On Sat, Apr 27, 2019, 9:59 PM Frank Sergent <fsergent@...> wrote:
Die casting requires a dedicated steel mold for each variant of part. Those molds are very expensive. That’s why I always used investment casting for the specialized stuff that I didn’t expect to sell tons of. I could justify paying for the mold for the lower shelf casting because I could use it with a lot of different top castings. For top castings with non-standard lengths, I couldn’t justify the cost of the steel mold.

There are also things that can’t be done practically with die casting (like the type F coupler), so investment casting is capability I needed anyway. Unfortunately, its not a capability I have now.

Thanks,
Frank

Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2019 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Sergent Engineering] Frank

I understand frank. I am curious however if the lower shelfs are diecast is there a reason the long shank ones cant be done thru diecast? I'm not familiar with all the casting so I'm just wondering what determines the two different castings.

On Sat, Apr 27, 2019, 3:37 PM Frank Sergent <fsergent@...> wrote:
Hi Todd,

Unfortunately I have zero of those left. The lower shelf castings are diecast. That’s why I can continue to offer the SBEC87 couplers.

Thanks,
Frank

Sent: Friday, April 26, 2019 2:37 PM
Subject: [Sergent Engineering] Frank

I was hoping to see if you by chance had one extra long shank lower shelf laying around if not no worries but I've broken one off a centerbeam car. Also just curious since the lower shelfs are being produced is there a reason the long shanks can't be produced like those are?