Re: Membership

Rob Barker

The finger method is for getting the springs in the coupler box - you sort of mash the coupler and spring between your thumb and fingers and slide them into the box at the same time.   For coupler assembly, tweezers are needed!

For the last two years or so an Optiviser has become my number one most used tool...  Used to only need it for the finest of work but now... pretty much goes on my head whenever I sit down to the workbench.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 1:06 PM L. J. Casey <ljcasey1@...> wrote:
is this method easier than using the assembly jig?    my eyes are starting to slow down, and last time I tried to assemble some, I got a little frustrated and quit like usual.

LJCasey
Maryville,IL

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 4:30 PM Rob Barker <robkbarker@...> wrote:
+1 on the thumb/finger over trick.  I *seems* like it would *never* work but once you get the hang of it, after two or three couplers, it's amazing how well it actually works!

And that said there are still conversions where you can't get your thumb in, and then I usually give a tweezers/knife combo approach a go but if they aren't cooperating I just skip the spring :-)

Rob

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 1:36 AM Tim L <tim@...> wrote:
I use the method given in the first Installation Tip
(InterMountain/Tichy Single Sheathed Box Car) on the Sergents website.
Amazing how well this method works. It's a bit more difficult when a
molded on coupler box doesn't have a flat top, like the Proto2000 Type
21 Tank Car (Installation Tip 8) but even then "finger-over" method can
work. I can't link directly to the tip, Franks site sill uses Frames
(for shame Frank) but just go to Instructions Etc on the Sergent website
and scroll down the the Installation Tips link.

- Tim

--
Loren (LJ) Casey
Maryville,IL