Re: Coupler stock

Logan Thurman

Welp, I know the feeling all to well. I've been rebuilding my 3d Printer for the past two years and now I wish I could just get a new one, I've been trying to get wax models for my Brass and Steel hybrid GS-3 4-8-4 I've been trying to get started in the casting process of the Frame and other required parts for it.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 2:35 AM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:
Oh Investment casting certainly can and does use injection molded waxes! Look at these examples. The youtube vid is pretty self explanatory.

https://www.milwaukeeprec.com/investment-castings.html?pmc=BC 1&_vsrefdom=ppcbing&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=iso%20%2Bcastings&utm_campaign=Investment%20Casting&utm_content=Iso%20Investment%20Casting

Dale Buxton

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 6:19 PM Edward Sutorik via Groups.Io <Edwardsutorik=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Investment casting doesn't use injection molding equipment.

Reading this article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment_casting

there is a comment:  "In recent years the production of patterns using 3D printing has become popular...in which case one goes directly to step 5."  From step 1.  So, Steps 2, 3, and 4 can be skipped.  What the 3D element does is make it quite a bit easier to produce the wax patterns.  However, Cal Scale was making wonderful investment castings YEARS ago without 3D printing.  And Kemtron before them.

I believe the earlier investment cast Sergent parts were done using steps 2-3-4.  And I believe that Frank is either getting very tired of dealing with steps 2-3-4, and/or he's yearning to cut the costs of using steps 2-3-4.

Since 3D printing is mentioned in the article, it has obviously been in substantial usage.  So it's not like Frank is going where no one has gone before.  But there might very well be start-up expenses.  And start-up mistakes.  But I doubt that it's anywhere near impossible.  Maybe just too expensive.  Or irritating.

Ed

Edward Sutorik