Re: Leaving out the friction springs

James Wall

I didn't install the friction springs in most of my cars and locos when I started using Sergent couplers around 2000.  I now install them on most rolling stock but rarely on locomotives as I only use them between consists with Kadees on the end since most of my rolling stock is still Kadee.

The question is how do you want the coupler to operate?  Leaving the friction spring out allows the coupler to act like the early coupler with out alignment control, meaning they do not self center after uncoupling.  Norfolk and Western had many locos that did not have alignment control, there were marked with a white line under the roan number on the cab side.

The friction spring has very little to do with "slack" action as most coupler boxes are a tight fit on the Sergent mounting hole.

James Wall