Re: 3D Printers

Ken Anderson

I might be interested in continuing the business, such a great product.  I am tired of being a nurse (45 years) and need a new gig to keep me interested. I would like to see how the process works as you said you would explain in a post.  thanks Ken

On Jul 12, 2018, at 12:48 PM, L. J. Casey <ljcasey1@...> wrote:

David,

Is in in Edwardsville, IL on the Lewis and Clark extension campus(right next to the ex NKP depot that was moved from the nearby NKP and L&M abandoned roadbeds.    Here is a link to their facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/search/str/edwardsville+fablab/keywords_search# 

It costs $75/month for basic membership, but that includes access to everything(they have $1.5 million in equipment there), including the computer lab, 3d printers in both filament and resin, a laser cutter CNC milling machines, other large woodworking and metal working tools, a paint 'booth', plus a full time instructor/assistant on site.   Only caveats are 1) deluxe users have priority over basic members on equipment - supposedly not a problem, and 2) their hours are like 2-7 PM on Tues and Thurs, and 8-2 or so on Saturday.   I have gone over there and toured and talked to the main working guy(he has a supervisor) about what stuff I'd like to do and he said it should be well within their abilities.   Just haven't had the money in the past, nor the time this year to start going.   Figured they could fine tune my 3d printer and give me a lot of assistance with projects.    Let me know if you want to go over there, and you could just swing by my place and I could drive you up there if it works, or not.

LJ Casey
Maryville,IL

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:58 AM, David Jobe, Sr. <tangerine_flyer@...> wrote:

First, many thanks to Frank for providing so much detail.  It would appear that we are on the cusp of a great leap forward in affordable capabilities.

Loren – Where is the FABLAB located?  Contact information?  And, here is the language from the fusion 360 site Frank lined to earlier:

Startup: If your entitlement has been designated as “Startup, ” You may use the service if You are (a) a company, startup, or home-based business that generates less than $100,000 (or equivalent in other currency) per year from the total sale of goods or services, or (b) an individual using the service for personal non-commercial projects, hobbies, or personal learning.

It certainly appears that you or any other hobbyist should qualify based on sub-paragraph (b).

David Jobe, Sr.

Saint Ann, Missouri

From: SergentEngineering@groups.io [mailto:SergentEngineering@groups.io] On Behalf Of L. J. Casey
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:07 AM
To: SergentEngineering@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Sergent Engineering] 3D Printers

well, I called and talked to someone and said I was a hobbyist, and that I was not using it for profit based activities, and the person I talked to (of course not using

straightforward language) told me it wasn't free for my uses.    Since I used to work for a software development company, I am sensitive to illegal use of software.    I have not

settled on/learned a particular CAD program, and have downloaded the blender tutorial, plus when my schedule calms down, I was planning on using the CAD learning lab at the local

FABLAB here.    May have to revisit the 360 site.   Seems a number of model railroaders have settled on Fusion360 as their go to CAD.

LJ Casey

Maryville,IL

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 9:00 AM, Frank Sergent <fsergent@sergentengineering.com> wrote:

Yes. But its not AutoCAD and not Inventor.

--------- Original Message ---------

Subject: Re: [Sergent Engineering] 3D Printers
Date: 7/12/18 9:48 am
To: SergentEngineering@groups.io

This is through Autodesk?

Mike Conder

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:59 AM Michael Graff via Groups.Io <michael.graff=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Regarding the Fusion 360 software, it is always free for hobbyists.

I've had it myself for a few years now, and I just have to renew the hobbyists license annually.

--

Loren Casey
Maryville,IL

--
Loren Casey
Maryville, IL

--
Loren Casey
Maryville,IL

--
Loren Casey
Maryville, IL

Join SergentEngineering@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.