Re: [SergentEng] Coupler not working properly

Rob McLear

Ed

Rob is correct if they are two years old there is every chance that they were part of the faulty batch that Frank had problems with.  There a problem with the hole in the coupler, it appeared that the mold over time had elongated the hole in the coupler which allowed the ball to move incorrectly.   Frank to his credit replaced all of mine that had been faulty and then took a bit of time to fix the issue with the mold.

I suggest that you get in touch with Frank, explain what has happened and you should get a positive response.   As far as I know there is no way to fix the problem.   When it happened to me I thought I was going nuts as I had assembled about 200 of these before then.  But no it wasn't me it was a fault in the mold, I had something like 15 of these that would not work no matter what I did.

I have over 400 cars equipped with these now and have assembled another 100 waiting to go on to future purchases.   My choice now is the narrow shank with the Accurail coupler box I find that this is an excellent way to mount a good looking coupler on resin cars, and where I can on RTR equipment.   I keep stock on hand for drop in replacements if I can't use the Narrow's both normal shank and short shank couplers.   I would not give up on my Sergents for anything.

Just my 2c worth.

Rob McLear
Kingaroy
Austraila