Re: [SergentEng] Equiping Kadee cars

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

Hello Greg,

I do not have many Kadee-made freight cars in the fleet but I have installed Sergent couplers on most of them, with a few left to do. All I have are boxcars.

Opening up the coupler box is the first challenge. Not difficult, but it takes a bit of planning. Review the sheet that comes with the car showing how it is assembled. Remember, the Kadee cars are basically a tab “A” into slot “B” press/snap fit. No glue. Reverse the assembly instructions to open up the coupler box. Then I have filed the boss or post, whatever one wants to call it, to round off the edges and to fit a standard type E coupler with the comparable shank. Install the coupler per instructions. Then press and snap the car back together.

I have not experienced any operating issues with this installations.

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On May 28, 2017, at 11:06 PM, Nathan Rich thaddeusthudpucker@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

A friend who converted his whole layout has a few, they take compatible shank E's. Taking the car apart is the hard part.

Nathan Rich

On May 28, 2017 22:13, "gbn630@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Has anyone put Sergents on Kadee cars. If so, what/how did you do it and what coupler did you use.

Greg