Re: [SergentEng] (unknown)

Mike Van Hove

Al,
The screwdrivers I use most of the time are a set from a German Co. called "WIHA".
They are not normally magnetized.  I guess I must have touched the end of the smallest one to some kind of Magnet.
I bet the magnet in the end of the Sergent Uncoupling Wand is strong enough to magnetize the end of the screwdriver.  Just give it a quick touch and try it.  Easy to add more, not so easy to remove it.
Here is a link to the screwdrivers.  This is from the Micro-Mark Web site.

Your LHS should have them.
I bought mine from Mark Twain Hobbies in St Peters, Missouri.

Mike Van Hove

On Feb 6, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Alan Hummel wrote:

Thanks Mike that was a GREAT HELP with the magnetized screwdriver, I been wondering about how to get that ball in there at all. I have "mini" screwdrivers but don't know if it's magnetized. If not,do you know where a fellow could pick one up? I don't think ACE HARDWARE has 'em that small.
Thanks Again'
Al Hummel

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:52 AM, Mike Van Hove <mvanhove@...> wrote:

Good morning all,
I have had great success with a very small screwdriver.  It's the smallest of the set of drivers that I own.

It has somehow become ever so slightly magnetized.  I can pick up a spring on the end.  I don't try to impale the spring with the screwdriver.  I can guide the spring into the pocket of the coupler with the screwdriver blade, then just hold the spring down with my thumbnail and withdraw the screwdriver.  Works nearly every time.
I also use the same screwdriver to pick up (1) ball Bearing and insert it in the hole in the coupler.  I use a .5 mm lead pencil to hold the ball while I remove the screwdriver.
Like I said, the blade is just barely magnetized.  I'm not sure how well this would work if it were heavily magnetized.

Hope something here may help.

Mike Van Hove
On Feb 6, 2014, at 6:13 AM, Alan Hummel wrote:

Thank you Morgan,I bought a Spring Pic years ago,now the trick is to find the thing!!! Ever have that trouble? Thanks for your input.
Best Regards,
Alan Hummel

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:24 AM, "morganreed@..." <morganreed@...> wrote:

As another person switching from Kadee's to Sergent I join in recommending the reamer.  I have a fair number of Sunshine kits and the mount is of VARIBLE size.  The reamer saves the day on that count.  Another tool I found useful is the Kadee "Pic" for inserting those *###?!!@ little springs.  If you use the tool and your thumb you can install quite a few in a row before one of them launches into space.  The spring really does help in lining up the couplers.  The final visual effect of the Sergent is, in my opinion worth the effort.  Have fun!

Morgan Reed