Re: Draft gear boxes

David Olsen

The compatible shank couplers work fine in Moloco boxes, but I personally think they stick out just a tad too far when compared to prototype photos.  I think it's because the Sergent pulling face is the same distance as a Kadee from the pivot point of the shank, but the scale Sergent head is smaller overall, making the exposed part of the coupler shank a little longer. I've noticed the same thing using compatible shank couplers in some other brands of coupler box, such as Tangent. I bought a few sets of the short shank couplers to see if they look better. Keep in mind that I'm pretty picky about the appearance of things like this, so you may not even notice. It has no effect on operations at all.

Dave Olsen
El Paso, TX