Re: [SergentEng] Possibly Going To Kadee's On Passenger Cars

Alden G. McBee

I ran into a related problem on my home layout with type H couplers on the new Walthers Amfleet cars, which have prototype spacing.  The diaphragms are too stiff to allow the cars to negotiate 30” radius curves when coupled with type H couplers. Reluctantly my solution, at least for now, was to keep the Kadees (with the pins clipped) between the cars and use the type H couplers on the ends of the cars where they are visible as someone previously suggested.  The Kadees have enough slop to let things work.  Removing one diaphragm also works but looks worse.  I tried to get some spare diaphragms from Walthers to try and alter the springing setup, but they couldn’t supply them.
—Alden McBee

On 29/09/2016, at 7:43 AM, Andrew Porter ihtsbih_2014@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

The main issue with modules is that they are moved around, exposed to wild swings in temperature and humidity and have varying degrees of quality in construction.  It can take quite a bit of effort throughout the course of a train show to get a module set back into adjustment.

I had no issues with lower shelf and double shelf couplers at the National train show.  I do not have any F or H type couplers installed yet.

Andrew

On Sep 29, 2016, at 7:31 AM, "Alan Hummel ahummel72@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Jacob,

Even though I've never had H or F couplers installed yet,I understand from the Sergent Website,those coupler types must have their height "right on" as you've painfully found out.

I only run freight so my contact with F couplers will face a similar situation. Fortunately,I'm working on a new layout so will be able to work over my benchwork first.

Is the difference between moduals,sufficient to correct the height difference by using risers to compensate?

Good luck.

Al Hummel