Re: [SergentEng] Installing Sergent E-type couplers on Walthers Mainline SW-1

Nathan Rich

Since the SW1 has an E coupler on it, as long as it is within about a third head height it will be fine. The passenger cars (should) have H couplers, but since the E has none of the tightlock stuff on it, it isn't critical to be exact. In fact, that is why you use an E coupler in the break-in process for the H couplers as you need to work it up and down to catch the tiny bits of flash that persist sometimes and to distribute the graphite.

Nathan

On Sep 25, 2016 1:39 PM, "Andrew Porter ihtsbih_2014@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Bachmanns GE 44T is a definite candidate for a shortened shank coupler or possibly re-drilling.

My concern about the mismatch stems from I was planning on using the SW1 for coach yard operations/passenger terminal.

Andrew
On Sep 25, 2016, at 4:26 PM, "Nathan Rich thaddeusthudpucker@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

My larger suggestion is to 'dry fit' the installation before you file anything down. You might be apprised to find that it is close enough on the Sergent height gauge that no further modification is necessary. As I said previously also, real coupler heights aren't perfect.

Another thing that I also try to do is to pull the head as far inboard as possible to where it starts looking better. One other thing that I find in my travels is that model manufacturers push the couplers out so that trip pins clear pilots and plows, and it just bothers me. The coupler sticks out into the next county on some of these. I think this is one of the biggest reasons why I love Sergents so much, you can make things look so much better. The other problem then is that sometimes it requires drilling a new mounting hole.

Keep us posted though!

Nathan