Re: [SergentEng] Installing Sergent E-type couplers on Walthers Mainline SW-1

Andrew

This definitely isn't a drooping issue.  Im using underset shank at the moment.  There is no vertical play in the coupler.  It matches perfectly to the coupler height gauge.  I was considering filing down the top of the shank on the E type coupler and using a shim underneath to get the coupler head up a bit in the locomotive.  I might also try filing the pad underneath as you suggest.

Andrew

On Sep 24, 2016, at 1:48 PM, "Nathan Rich thaddeusthudpucker@... [SergentEng]" <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Most times things seem to line up if you put them where they look right. If you need to raise a coupler you could file the pad that the box screws to down a little and be ok. Test fit it before you do anything though. You may be surprised to see you don't need to do anything.

Most of the coupler height issues I experienced with Kadee couplers were more due to the couplers drooping than anything. What really made coupler height critical with Kadee couplers was the trip pin, which I used to cut off most of the time anyway. The trip pins would catch on trackwork or grade crossings (which does happen sometimes to the big guys with a drooping air hose) if they were low. Even if they were up to a third the height of the head different they would stay together. I find that the tensioner spring that goes inside the body of a Sergent coupler prevents drooping, and due to the tighter tolerances of the couplers they are far less likely to bypass each other. If some things are just a little outside the notch on your Sergent height gauge, they'll probably still be ok. Tightlock passenger couplers are not as forgiving, they need to be on spec but E's are pretty forgiving.

Real couplers have a range of heights  that is acceptable to be within, and if things always bypass at a certain spot on the layout I would investigate the trackwork in that spot.

Happy Railroading
Nathan Rich