Intermountain 19,600 gal. tankcars/ SEC87K

jjjwar@outlook.com

Has anyone tried installing the SEC87K compatible shank double shelf coupler on the Intermountain 19,600 gallon corn syrup tank cars? On the cars I have the long coupler box is held on by two screws. The stock coupler is a Kadee whisker coupler with the standard shank with the big hole. A Sergent SEC87K fits just fine but is a little tight in the side to side swing.

The problem I ran into is the coupler height is a little too high. About .015" to .020". I cannot lower the coupler box as the end frame of the car acts as the lid for the coupler box. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so how did you correct it. I am kind of stumped on what to do.

 I did find that the SEC87K fits fine on the Atlas 17,600 gal. tank cars just fine. Drop in fit. The SEC87K also fits very nice on the new Sale Trains 31K crude oil tank cars. One again a drop in fit.

Wayne R

Ontario, Canada