Re: [SergentEng] Re: Corrosion on couplers

Tim L

I'm not so sure that humidity alone was the cause of the problem, it can
get quite humid here and I've not experienced it, assembled or not;
though my assembled couplers seem to get a good amount of graphite in
them when using the pencil.

The white powder is oxidisation, essentially rust for Zinc. The only way
I can think of to get that much oxidisation is a galvanic reaction
between the zinc coupler and stainless steel ball, and given the size
of the ball that's got to be a huge long shot.

Anyway, nice to see another Oz member (from my state to boot) here using
Sergents.

Tim
Land of OZ

On 03/05/2016 18:14, @Graffen [SergentEng] wrote:

This must be a humidity issue...
I have unassembled couplers in an open box at my desk, and they show no
sign of corrosion.
The white powder mentioned before is probably a zinc residue and as such
it is very moisture sensitive.