Re: [SergentEng] LaBelle Cars

Randy Hees

On most wooden passenger cars, the platforms are not part of the under-fame... the under-frame ends as the end wall of the body, and the platforms were bolted to the under-frame, in effect, cantilevered off the car body.

This introduced a weak point in the car, with heavy draw bars (a coupler is an automatic device, a link and pin device is a draw bar (all per MCB) bolted to the platforms.

Miller introduced a number of changes in his patented design... including a trussed platform, better keying of the platform into the underframe, and a longer coupler so it was bolted directly to the car underframe.

There are examples of couplers bolted to platforms... including a NG caboose I worked on...

In your case, you are dealing with mounting the coupler to the platform, on a model, whitch will require a coupler box mounted to the platform, which will introduce a large object on a spot on the model where none was found on the prototype...  or alterantly use brass or styrene to extend the Sargent coupler to match the prototype.

Randy

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Mike Van Hove mvanhove@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Thank you, I didn’t know that.  Maybe I need to do more research before I start modifying the castings.

Thanks,

Mike
On Feb 20, 2016, at 7:42 PM, randyhees@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

On the prototype D&RGW narrow gauge passenger cars, the couplers were unusually long, converted Miller Hook shanks, which anchored to the body, not the platform.   The exception was the RPO cars without platforms, which used freight car couplers and draft gear.

I suspect that the prototype design is at least part of the issue.

Randy Hees