Re: [SergentEng] LaBelle Cars

Mike Van Hove

John,
I think what I have are the ones with the channel like draft gear. altho, these are very new production, just purchased, and in the new style packaging.  Who knows?

By the way, I have read all  the articles in the W R Hon3 Annuals, and I appreciate all the fine work you guys have done.

Thanks,
Mike Van Hove

On Feb 20, 2016, at 7:13 PM, 'John Niemeyer' jniemeyer@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

Mike

If I may. I've built a number of La Belle that were originally made by three
different owners and the end platforms were different on all three. I can't
remember which was which. I believe the first was produced with a channel
like draft gear box. Too narrow for any coupler without modification. I
machined this off and used a Kadee draft gear box. Drilling and tapping a
brass 0-80 machine screw then filing the top flush with the upper deck. The
second was a flat pad that was fairly thick. I filed that down and once
again I used the Kadee draft gear box and 0-80 screw. and the current, I
just drilled and tapped 0-80 again. The reason that I use the Kadee draft
gear box is that the Accumate is too wide for HOn3 and doesn't allow enough
clearance for the wheels. I've installed Blackstone trucks, with pick-up
wipers, on my coaches. The pick-up wiper leave even less space for the draft
gear box. On some coaches, I've added LED marker lights and interior
lighting.

John Niemeyer

Mike,

Not sure if this is of any help. The La Belle end platforms are smooth
on the underside. I've just assembled couplers in their boxes, whatever
ones you are going to use for the Sergents, and then glued the boxes to the
underside of the platform. I've used Goo and I think epoxy would work as
well. I'm kitbashing a car using La Belle end platforms and am close to
starting another La Belle kit. As I look at the end platform it appears to
be well shaped, but lacking in detail, so I am investigating what details to
add and then how to add them - ratchet and pawl, nut-bolt-washers, lower
staff bracket, end railings and so on.
Hope this is of some help!
Duncan