Re: walthers amfleet cars

David R. Olsen <drolsen@...>

Hi Alden,

Thanks, I didn't realize the new Amfleet cars had a different style of diaphragm spring, but it makes sense that they would be evolving.  I always thought the old metal leaf spring was kind of "iffy," since it was at risk of popping loose inside the car, but that also made it fixable, whereas if plastic tabs on a one-piece diaphragm break, you're out of luck.

Walthers used to be good about spare parts.  When the first couple runs of Superliners came out, the windows were glued inside the undecorated cars, and Walthers sent me some spare windows and diaphragms after I broke a couple parts trying to disassemble one of the cars.  A few years ago, I bought a couple cheap Walthers passenger cars at a show that came without grab irons, and Walthers was willing to sell me a couple packets of the grabs.  I'm not sure I'd have that kind of luck getting parts now.  I haven't tried myself

I'm not sure if you've seen the TSP Amfleet diaphragms, but they are very thin in profile (like the prototype), about 1/3 of the Walthers version, so I'm not how you'd mount springs to them and conceal the springs.

Back to Sergents, I really need to get back to working on my Amtrak equipment now that I have some Type H couplers - they are fantastic, like every Sergent coupler, and they are one of the details that I waiting for to move forward with my Amtrak modeling.

Dave Olsen

Alexandria, VA

On Dec 13, 2015 at 10:52 PM, Alden G. McBee agm@... wrote:
Hi Dave. The cars I have use a plastic leaf spring on each side of the diaphragm that is cast as part of the diaphragm. It seems to make the diaphragm bottom out too soon and not let it swivel enough. There may not be enough swivel even if the spring were removed. I have hesitated working on it without a spare as I don’t know if they can be purchased from Walthers; I need to give them a call. I have also considered trying to add springs to Train Station Products Amfleet diaphragms, but I haven’t checked to see if they are the same size, and it would probably be more difficult than using the originals.
Alden McBee
Wheeling, WV