Re: walthers amfleet cars

David R. Olsen <drolsen@...>

Alden, this issue has come up a couple times on various lists in reference to Walthers diaphragms. My plan is to add a spacer between the metal leaf spring and the end of the car so that it doesn't put as much pressure on those tabs at the top and bottom of the diaphragm. The other suggestion I've heard is to replace it with a piece of thin styrene strip which wouldn't be as strong as the metal spring. I think either way should work - I know other have used the styrene strip idea - I just figured the plastic strip would start to develop a memory over time and lose some of its pressure.

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA

On Dec 13, 2015, at 7:36 PM, Alden G. McBee <agm@...> wrote:

I mounted the type H on the new plated Walther’s Amfleet cars, and it was an easy installation with prototype spacing, I believe, and the look great.  Problem was the diaphragms wouldn’t flex enough  to negotiate my 30” minimum radii.  Removing one diaphragm solved the problem, but I am not satisfied with that situation.  Eventually I am going to try and get the diaphrams to swivel more.  I guess I could use Kadees (with more slack) between cars and only use the Sergents on the ends of the train where they are more visible,  but I hate to compromise on this._