Re: [SergentEng] Re: walthers amfleet cars

Alden G. McBee

I mounted the type H on the new plated Walther’s Amfleet cars, and it was an easy installation with prototype spacing, I believe, and the look great.  Problem was the diaphragms wouldn’t flex enough  to negotiate my 30” minimum radii.  Removing one diaphragm solved the problem, but I am not satisfied with that situation.  Eventually I am going to try and get the diaphrams to swivel more.  I guess I could use Kadees (with more slack) between cars and only use the Sergents on the ends of the train where they are more visible,  but I hate to compromise on this.
—Alden McBee

On Dec 13, 2015, at 6:56 PM, 'David R. Olsen' drolsen@... [SergentEng] <SergentEng@...> wrote:

When I first started experimenting with the original Sergent couplers, I tested them in Walthers Superliners by completely removing the original swinging coupler mounts and installing Kadee coupler boxes. This allowed me to set the cars up for close coupling so that the diaphragms would just barely touch.

I haven't gotten around to putting the Type H couplers (which I had been waiting for) in my Amtrak equipment, but I'll probably do the same thing again. Sergents work very smoothly in Kadee coupler boxes without any filing to thin them down, and they're concealed under the car and behind the end sill anyway. This setup requires broader curves (I haven't tested the minimum yet), but that's my goal for my future layout anyway.

Dave Olsen
Alexandria, VA

On Dec 11, 2015, at 3:00 PM, martinmatsil1953@... wrote:i know that amtrak uses the H coupler on their  passenger cars,how are they mounted,on HO-scale cars,i am trying,to learn about,and how about,the walthers,horizon cars,used by Metro-North.Thanks,and God bless.