Greetings! #Introductions

Greetings from Hamburg, NJ, by way of Beverly, Mass. My 8th great grandfather was James Frissell/Frizzell/Fresell, who was aboard the Unity and became an indentured servant in Roxbury (now Jamaica Plain), Mass. My mother, who was raised in Dudley, Mass., was named Catherine Helen Feissell.

Charles Maurer

My 8th great grandfather, Daniel (Mac)Dill, was most likely the Dan.... on the ship John and Sara.  After serving his seven year indentureship in NH, he moved to York, MA (now ME) along with many other ex-Scottish POWs.

Of note, I just returned from Scotland where I was able to arrange a personalized tour of the Battle of Dunbar (an easy train ride from Edinburgh).  If you are interested in arranging such a tour, let me know and I can provide you contact info.

--
Chuck Maurer

Michael Dennis

Charles,
I will be in Scotland this summer and would appreciate the tour contact.  My relative was Scottish POW James Warren.  Thank you for sharing the contact.
Michael Dennis

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022, 18:08 Charles Maurer <vamaurers@...> wrote:
My 8th great grandfather, Daniel (Mac)Dill, was most likely the Dan.... on the ship John and Sara.  After serving his seven year indentureship in NH, he moved to York, MA (now ME) along with many other ex-Scottish POWs.

Of note, I just returned from Scotland where I was able to arrange a personalized tour of the Battle of Dunbar (an easy train ride from Edinburgh).  If you are interested in arranging such a tour, let me know and I can provide you contact info.

--
Chuck Maurer

I envy you, Charles! Now that I've discovered my ancestral info, as it relates to the Battle of Dunbar, I'm ramping up long-delayed plans to visit Scotland. I'm currently trying to determine the easiest and most straightforward way to get to Durham for a visit, but Dunbar isn't out of the question, especially if I fly into Edinburgh. Did you visit Durham, also?

Michael, do you have any recommendations on the best way to get to Durham from, say, London or Edinburgh? At first glance, it seems like rail travel makes the most sense, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Doug Cahoon

Train is one option - another is to fly into Edinburgh rent a car and drive out to Dunbar (30 miles or about 45 minutes) Then travel the way the prisoners were taken down to Durham (120 miles 2.5 hours without stopping) But stop along the way in each of the towns to see soak it all in.
The map is from my Google Earth Project following my ancestor from Dunbar to New England.
Inline image

On Saturday, March 26, 2022, 10:49:46 AM MDT, Bill <wrwoolley@...> wrote:

Michael, do you have any recommendations on the best way to get to Durham from, say, London or Edinburgh? At first glance, it seems like rail travel makes the most sense, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Jane Kelton

I would be interested in arranging a tour of the Battle of Dunbar. Not sure when, but I'd appreciate the contact info.

Jane Kelton
(descendent of Thos. Kelton, Scottish POW who was sent to Saugus Iron works)

On Saturday, March 26, 2022, 07:08:48 AM EDT, Charles Maurer <vamaurers@...> wrote:

My 8th great grandfather, Daniel (Mac)Dill, was most likely the Dan.... on the ship John and Sara.  After serving his seven year indentureship in NH, he moved to York, MA (now ME) along with many other ex-Scottish POWs.

Of note, I just returned from Scotland where I was able to arrange a personalized tour of the Battle of Dunbar (an easy train ride from Edinburgh).  If you are interested in arranging such a tour, let me know and I can provide you contact info.

--
Chuck Maurer

Erica Hahn

I would  be interested  in going. Descendant of Philip  macintyre.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 11:21 AM, Jane Kelton via groups.io
<jane_kelton@...> wrote:
I would be interested in arranging a tour of the Battle of Dunbar. Not sure when, but I'd appreciate the contact info.

Jane Kelton
(descendent of Thos. Kelton, Scottish POW who was sent to Saugus Iron works)

On Saturday, March 26, 2022, 07:08:48 AM EDT, Charles Maurer <vamaurers@...> wrote:

My 8th great grandfather, Daniel (Mac)Dill, was most likely the Dan.... on the ship John and Sara.  After serving his seven year indentureship in NH, he moved to York, MA (now ME) along with many other ex-Scottish POWs.

Of note, I just returned from Scotland where I was able to arrange a personalized tour of the Battle of Dunbar (an easy train ride from Edinburgh).  If you are interested in arranging such a tour, let me know and I can provide you contact info.

--
Chuck Maurer

Joey Darling Sr.

I would be interested in attending the tour. Direct paternal decendent of George Darling SPOW, Unity. Keep me posted.
Thanks.
Joseph Edward Darling. (843)940-1399.

<jane_kelton=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would be interested in arranging a tour of the Battle of Dunbar. Not sure when, but I'd appreciate the contact info.

Jane Kelton
(descendent of Thos. Kelton, Scottish POW who was sent to Saugus Iron works)

On Saturday, March 26, 2022, 07:08:48 AM EDT, Charles Maurer <vamaurers@...> wrote:

My 8th great grandfather, Daniel (Mac)Dill, was most likely the Dan.... on the ship John and Sara.  After serving his seven year indentureship in NH, he moved to York, MA (now ME) along with many other ex-Scottish POWs.

Of note, I just returned from Scotland where I was able to arrange a personalized tour of the Battle of Dunbar (an easy train ride from Edinburgh).  If you are interested in arranging such a tour, let me know and I can provide you contact info.

--
Chuck Maurer

John Gubancsik

Have you seen the surname, Fryzel, associated with your ancestor?

Thanks,
John

Greetings from Hamburg, NJ, by way of Beverly, Mass. My 8th great grandfather was James Frissell/Frizzell/Fresell, who was aboard the Unity and became an indentured servant in Roxbury (now Jamaica Plain), Mass. My mother, who was raised in Dudley, Mass., was named Catherine Helen Feissell.

Andrew Millard

Dear Bill,

Yes rail travel is the easiest way to get here from London (3 hours from Kings Cross station) or Edinburgh (2 hours from Edinburgh Waverley station).

Best wishes

Andrew

--

Dr. Andrew Millard