James McCall

Andrew Millard

I’ve just started reading Robert Charles Anderson’s Elements of Genealogical Analysis, which is very good. I’d only got as far as page 8 when I spotted a SPOW connection! One of his examples discusses the name of the first daughter of Benajah MacKall of Marshfield, MA, and New London, CT, showing that the daughter Ruth recorded in many genealogies was the same as Faith recorded in others, and that the name Ruth arose as a copying error sometime in the 19th century. Seeing the surname I thought it worth checking if he was a SPOW descendant, and it turns out he is.

Anderson is referring to and correcting a well-documented genealogy of the family published in 1985: Clare M McCall, Captain John McCall, 1726-1812 : his ancestors and his descendants. This book is available for borrowing from archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/captainjohnmccal00mcca

I don’t see this book listed on the SPOWS website as a source. Chapter 1 starts with the SPOW James McCall of Braintree, and traces the descendants to the start of the 4th generation. This contains quite a few descendants not listed on the webpage.

In the preamble Introduction to the name McCall (p.xii), the author claims that the descendants of James McCall, are the only family of that name in New England down to the American Revolution, but that it ‘occurs with some frequency’ in Philadelphia, Virginia and the Carolinas. If that is correct, then we must conclude that Unity prisoner Duncan McCall had no descendants in New England. For John & Sara prisoners James Mackally, Alester Mackhele, James Mackhell, James Michell and James Mickell, we can say that either they had no descendants in New England or these names which might equate to McCall appear in later records in a different form (Mitchell seems plausible as another form for some of them).

Best wishes

Andrew

--

Dr. Andrew Millard

Associate Professor of Archaeology,

Durham University, UK

Email & Skype: A.R.Millard@...

Personal page: https://www.dur.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/?id=160

Scottish Soldiers Project: https://www.dur.ac.uk/scottishsoldiers

Dunbar 1650 MOOC: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/battle-of-dunbar-1650

Scottish Soldiers book:

 UK sales: https://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/lost-lives-new-voices.html

US sales: https://www.oxbowbooks.com/dbbc/lost-lives-new-voices.html

Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust

I have copied and pasted this information to our Google Drive folder for James McCall. I will update his page when we are able to start editing the new website which should be pretty soon. Thank-you Andrew!
Teresa

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 6:41 AM Andrew Millard <a.r.millard@...> wrote:

[...]

Executive Director
Scottish Prisoners of War Society