John Hamilton #DunbarPrisoners

David Hamilton

I have seen some sources say Christian Dalziel or Christian Edwards but have no way of being sure.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 12:13 PM Roger Burbank via Groups.Io <burby9=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Nope, all I have is Christian, possibly Christina.  Rog

On Monday, March 23, 2020, 11:48:52 AM PDT, David Hamilton <dhhamilton217@...> wrote:

Hi Roger, good to hear from you.  Do you have any information on the first John’s wife, Christian, like her maiden name and b/d dates?  Thanks.

David

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 11:36 AM Roger Burbank via Groups.Io <burby9=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi David, I come down John 1634 to his son john 1667, then his son Joseph 1697.  Joseph married Sarah Wood.  Their daughter Millicent married Benjamin Wood jr who was related to her mother Sarah.  Wood to Green to Peterson to Collins to my grandmother.

Roger

On Monday, March 23, 2020, 10:39:52 AM PDT, David Hamilton <dhhamilton217@...> wrote:

I am David Hamilton descendant of John Hamilton (circa 1634-1680) of Concord—-from past to present: John 1, John 2, Nathan, Elisha, Nathan, Hannibal, Merrill, Harris (“Harry”), George, then Me.

Happy for news from the group.

Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust

There is NO source for his wife being Christian DALZIEL. Please READ the page here, where Dan shares about the wife of John1 being married to Christian EDWARDS and John2 being married to Hannah HAYWARD. I will also post the follow up to Dan's research for Hannah Hayward. https://johnhamiltonofcharlestown.com/

--
Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust
Executive Director

Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust

This is from Dan Hamilton in November 2019:
"This project started two years ago as a means to strengthen the genealogical proof argument that Hannah, the wife of John Hamilton (1667-1747) the Yeoman of Concord, as he has become known, was the same woman as Hannah Hayward, born 1670 in Concord, MA, the daughter of Joseph and Hannah Hosmer Hayward.

We know from existing records that Yeoman John was the son of Scottish POW John Hamilton who had been a sixteen-year-old captured by Cromwell at the Battle of Dunbar in 1650 and sent to New England as an indentured servant. We know that the town of Charlestown, MA gave the elder John, and other Scotsmen, small plots of land as an act of charity in 1658. Elder John then moved to Concord and married Christian, giving birth to Yeoman John in 1667.

Concord vital records for the mid-1690s, the probable period of marriage for Yeoman John, have been lost, although the births of several of their children were recorded there before they moved to Brookfield, MA in 1701,so for three hundred and fifty years we have not known Hannah’s surname.

Previous research with a strong FAN approach (Family and Neighbors), examination of land deeds and adjacent properties in both towns, probates, town grants and proprietor’s records, family naming patterns, and intermarriages with relatives on both sides, and a mass family-related migration from Concord to Brookfield, had strongly indicated that these two women were one and the same.

The Hamilton/Hayward mtDNA Project was initiated with high hopes to find matching mt-DNA in the living descendants of Hannah Hamilton and the living descendants of Hannah Hosmer Hayward.

You likely know that mtDNA is passed from mother to her children, but only daughters pass it on.  This allowed the project to include both women and men. mtDNA seldom mutates, providing a strong tool to support an existing paper trail.

We identified 45 people as qualified descendants of Hannah Hamilton, descending from her two daughters.  We identified 66 qualified descendants of Hannah Hosmer Hayward, descending from her two remaining daughters, siblings of our hopefully matching Hannah b. 1670.

We wrote letters to each potential participant, explaining the project and offering to pay for the testing should they be willing to join us. Over the two years, eleven people responded, and seven agreed to test.

In the first comparable test results there were several non-matching examples. That prompted a review of original research to pin point the cause of the variance and yes, a mistake had been made. Two women born in 1794, in the same town, with the same name, who’s records had been confused over the years. That mistake disqualified two of the testing participants but eliminated the unexplained variances. One participant was unable to submit a viable sample, although several attempts were made.

As a result, our current project status is:

We now have four participants, two men and two women.  Two from the Hannah Hamilton maternal line of descent; one from each daughter. Two from the Hannah Hosmer Hayward maternal line of descent; one from each daughter.

Each tested the full mt-DNA sequence.

Each has the same and matching Haplogroup: K2a6, a very recently developed group, less than 5,000 years old. Only about 4 percent of women carry it.

Each has exact matching HVR1 mutations

Each has exact matching HVR2 mutations

Three have exact matching Coding Region mutations (one has a single Heteroplasmy event, which is a mutation in progress and is considered a match)

One has a single Coding Region mutation difference out of the over 16,000 locations identified.

This mt-DNA project now serves as a very strong indication that our living descendants have a common female ancestor. Combined with the paper trail research, it is very strongly indicated that that common ancestor is Hannah Hosmer Hayward whose daughter Hannah, b. 1670 in Concord, MA married John Hamilton, the Yeoman of Concord.

The project will remain active. Hopefully more participants will be researched and contacted. For those of you already involved, our deepest gratitude.

The mtDNA test results for the project will now be available on the Family Tree Website.

The link is:

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/hamilton-hayward

More detailed genealogical proof reportage is in progress, to be shared with the associated family groups and professional journals.

Again, Thank you all.

Dan Hamilton

John Hamilton

Administrators – the Hamilton/Hayward Project, Family Tree DNA"

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 2:36 PM Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust via Groups.Io <Teresa.Rust=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
There is NO source for his wife being Christian DALZIEL. Please READ the page here, where Dan shares about the wife of John1 being married to Christian EDWARDS and John2 being married to Hannah HAYWARD. I will also post the follow up to Dan's research for Hannah Hayward. https://johnhamiltonofcharlestown.com/

--
Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust
Executive Director
Scottish Prisoners of War Society

--
Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust

--
Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust
Executive Director
Scottish Prisoners of War Society

David Hamilton

Hi Teresa:

Here is a mention of Christian Dalziel as John Hamilton’s wife (among other places) that comes up on Wikitree.

David Hamilton

On Mar 23, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust <Teresa.Rust@...> wrote:

There is NO source for his wife being Christian DALZIEL. Please READ the page here, where Dan shares about the wife of John1 being married to Christian EDWARDS and John2 being married to Hannah HAYWARD. I will also post the follow up to Dan's research for Hannah Hayward. https://johnhamiltonofcharlestown.com/

--
Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust
Executive Director
Scottish Prisoners of War Society

Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust

Please ignore that as it is not based in reality. I have seen the reference for Dalziel since 2007, but it has been around for a long time, though it is not accurate! Try asking for a source and see how far you get.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 3:49 PM David Hamilton <dhhamilton217@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger Burbank

Hi, I would be very careful with wikitree info.   I could be wrong but I did not think we had a location for John in Scotland.  Below Info gives birth place ?.

Roger

<dhhamilton217@...> wrote:

Hi Teresa:

Here is a mention of Christian Dalziel as John Hamilton’s wife (among other places) that comes up on Wikitree.

David Hamilton

On Mar 23, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust <Teresa.Rust@...> wrote:

There is NO source for his wife being Christian DALZIEL. Please READ the page here, where Dan shares about the wife of John1 being married to Christian EDWARDS and John2 being married to Hannah HAYWARD. I will also post the follow up to Dan's research for Hannah Hayward. https://johnhamiltonofcharlestown.com/

--
Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust
Executive Director
Scottish Prisoners of War Society

Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust

We do not have a place for him in Scotland though we do have a clue. In the Hamilton DNA Project there is a tester who has matches to our Hamilton but they hail from someone who arrived in the New Jersey area much later than our John. Have you Hamiltons joined that project?

"The paper trail indicates that participants H-018, H-094, H-031, H-397 and H- 539 in Group R1b-5 are descended from John Hamilton who emigrated from Britain to Concord, MA about 1650 so again it is not too surprising that their results match well. As a result, any direct male Hamilton descendant who suspects he may be derived from this John of Concord can now easily prove or disprove the possibility by having his DNA analyzed and comparing his results to these profiles. In this regard the close similarity of the DNA profiles for P-231, S-327, N-343, F-475 and R-481 to those of the foregoing imply that they may be derived from the same immigrant Hamilton ancestor even though their surnames are not Hamilton. Participant H-084 in Group R1b-5 does not trace his lineage to John of Concord but rather to ancestors in the 1600s in Fife and Argyll, Scotland. The observation that the profile for H-084 is reasonably close to those for the others in Group R1b-5 suggests that they probably all shared a common ancestor in Scotland prior to 1600. The FTDNATiP calculation using 67 markers indicates that there is a 63% chance that H-084 and H-031 share a common ancestor in 12 generations and a 99% chance in 24 generations."

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 3:57 PM Roger Burbank via Groups.Io <burby9=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Teresa and Roger:

Thanks for the reply.

David Hamilton

On Mar 23, 2020, at 3:56 PM, Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust <Teresa.Rust@...> wrote:

Please ignore that as it is not based in reality. I have seen the reference for Dalziel since 2007, but it has been around for a long time, though it is not accurate! Try asking for a source and see how far you get.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 3:49 PM David Hamilton <dhhamilton217@...> wrote:

Hi Teresa:

Here is a mention of Christian Dalziel as John Hamilton’s wife (among other places) that comes up on Wikitree.

David Hamilton

<image1.png>