Re: Introduction

Mark Johnson

Once freed, they were still strangers in a strange land. Little wonder this small band stayed close, and that one line of descendants would be traced to four SPOWs.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 4:38 PM Joan Buell <jhbuell@...> wrote:

I have learned that I am descended from four of those who were among the Scottish Prisoners of War:Purthe MackFarlan, who ended up in Hingham, MA, and three who went to Kittery Iron Works/sawmill in what was MA but is now Maine: James Warren, William Furbish, and John Neale. I have just started reading Lost Voices, New Lives to learn more!

On February 17, 2022, at 1:47 PM, Sandy Chacko <sandy.chacko@...> wrote:

Thanks.  Looking forward to reading these books.

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 12:06 PM Mark Johnson <mejcopy@...> wrote:

To Sandy Chacko and others ... while there's lots available online, two terrific books are available on Amazon:

The Dunbar Martyrs: Scottish Prisoners of War in Durham Cathedral, 1650 | Webb, Simon
The Involuntary American: A Scottish Prisoner's Journey to the New World | Gardner, Carol

Mark Johnson

1. Malcolm MacCallum 1630-1683, SPOW, 8th great-grandfather
2. Caleb Callum 1664-1716
3. John Callum 1700-1754
4. Jemima Callum 1728-1776
.