Vermilion Flycatcher, Eurasian Wigeon, Yellow Warbler, Burrowing Parakeet

Philip Unitt

Dear friends,

This morning 20 February 2021 at Paradise Creek Educational Park in National City I saw the male Vermilion Flycatcher that has apparently been there continuously since at least 18 December 2020. Isn’t it nice not to check e-Bird before you visit a site, so for a few minutes you can enjoy the fool’s paradise that some notable bird you see might be a new discovery?

I saw the Eurasian Wigeon that has wintered in the lower Sweetwater River for the last few years at the south end of Paradise Marsh, just north of the bike path.

It’s amazing the number of times I have been pedaling down some random street in San Diego and heard a wintering Yellow Warbler calling. Today while passing through Barrio Logan I heard one in the trees across from 2636 Main St. I stopped to look and saw it was a bright male with a yellow forehead and bold chestnut streaks on the underparts.

Finally, also in Barrio Logan, I refound the four Burrowing Parakeets I saw last weekend, nearly a mile west of their previous location. They were flying and circling continuously, and I chased them several blocks before losing them somewhere east of 28th St. past the Logan-Memorial Educational Complex.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt

San Diego