updated "San Diego County Avian Database 2002-2022" posted

lehman.paul@verizon.net

For the past 2-1/2 years I have been working on a "San Diego County Avian Database 2002-2022." With assistance provided by Guy McCaskie and Phil Unitt, and also with input from many additional San Diego County birders, past and present, the latest version of this missive has now been posted on-line.

This database includes avian records from late 2002 to early August 2022—essentially since the pre-publication cut-off date of records for the San Diego County Bird Atlas by Philip Unitt (2004). Also included are many pre-2002 records of interest not found in, or data-corrected from, Unitt (2004) and Unitt (1984; The Birds of San Diego County). The data include those involving rarities, unseasonal records, high counts, early and late dates, specimens of interest, range expansions and contractions, and some other significant population trends. Each species entry is divided into four principal "sub-regions" of the county—coast, inland, mountains, and desert--and these sub-regions are further sub-divided into three seasons—migration, winter, and summer/breeding.

With much-appreciated assistance provided by Jane Mygatt and Natalie Shapiro, the database has been posted in a WORD version on the Buena Vista Audubon Society website:

Once on the site's Birding Resources page, you should be able to easily view and download the document. Once downloaded, it should be SEARCHABLE, for ease of finding particular species, observer names, locations, or whatever. (Alongside the database on this page there is also an electronic version of the San Diego County Bird Atlas.)

I plan to continuously update this database, and to post updated versions approximately every six months. If anyone is interested in the most current version at any time between those intervals, feel free to contact me privately.

And please do let me know about any errors or omissions you might find. No correction is too minor!

--Paul Lehman, San Diego