Swainson's Hawks Migrating From Borrego Springs

Hal Cohen

This morning 304 Swainson's Hawks and 79 Turkey Vultures migrated north from Borrego Springs. At least 9 kettles formed as the hawks and vultures moved northwest and out of the valley. Because we are not experiencing a flower season with caterpillars, the hawks arrive late evenings from the south/southeast and migrate north/northwest early in the morning. The expected wind this morning never developed so the hawks and vultures kettled up at 7:45am. Each evening around a half hour before sunset we meet on Borrego Valley Rd, 1.5 miles north of Palm Canyon Drive. From this vantage point we can monitor arriving hawks as they descend into roosts. We will monitor the migration of the hawks now until early April. The peak migration is around March 15. ALERTS are sent to folks when more than 100 hawks descend into the valley. Contact me if you would like to be on the list.
Hal Cohen
Borrego Springs