Swainson's Hawks In Borrego Springs

Hal Cohen

This MOURNING (Sunday March 7) 51 Swainson's Hawks migrated from Borrego Springs, heading north. This EVENING at 4:45pm we counted around 60 Swainson's Hawks descending into the Date Farm on Borrego Valley Rd. At 5:30pm an additional 100+ hawks dropped into the same area. At 5:45pm another 30+ SW's arrived. The estimated number of hawks that settled into the Date Farm could be well over 200. Unfortunately the wind will pick up and the hawks will most likely migrate at first light (5:45-6AM). If we are lucky the hawks will remain at the roost site longer than normal. We will have an introduction to the hawkwatch (looking for potential volunteers) at the official count site (2.8 miles north of Palm Canyon Drive on DiGiorgio Rd) at 8am. Please wear a face mask and maintain at least a 6 foot distance from other participants.
Hal Cohen Borrego Springs, CA