Topics

Swainson's Hawks in Borrego Springs

Hal Cohen

Today 271 Swainson's Hawks migrated from Borrego Springs. For a 3 hour period several kettles of hawks migrated or were observed aerial feeding. We are not sure what the food source was. Although we did not see flying ants. This evening over 25 Swainson's Hawks descended into the date farm. They probably will take off around 8am. tomorrow. They may aerial feed before departing the valley. Best spot to observe them may be 1.8 miles north of Palm Canyon Drive on Borrego Valley Rd. Each evening 1 hour before sunset we meet at this site. The official day site (8-11am) to count the hawks as they migrate out of town is located 2.8 miles north of Palm Canyon Drive on DiGiorgio Rd.
Hal Cohen
Borrego Springs