Six Western Gull nests on roofs (Point Loma)

Sara Baase Mayers

I've been watching for Western Gulls nesting on roofs since a pair began nesting on our neighbor's roof two years ago.  This season, so far, I've found six families (each with 1 - 3 chicks). Five are within a block of the bay, near La Playa Cove.  (Ours is the outlier; we are more than half a mile from the bay and a little farther than that from the ocean.) This is the ideal time to look for them: The chicks (a little more than four weeks old) are big enough to walk around on the roofs and be seen but not yet able to fly.  I have two more suspect roofs but have not seen chicks on those yet.  If anyone is actually interested in this and wants more detail, let me know.

Sara Mayers
Point Loma (San Diego)

Matt Sadowski

Sara,

On 9 June 2017 I had what I thought was a potentially nesting WEGU on a house in upper residential Pt. Loma doing agitated calls. I didn't note the street but remember it being probably Jennings or Wilcox east of Catalina.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S37493397
They nest on buildings in other parts of San Diego but strange seeing them on a low rooftop in heavily wooded Pt. Loma. Easy prey it would seem.

Matt Sadowski