Six Western Gull nests on roofs (Point Loma)

Sara Baase Mayers

I've been watching for Western Gulls nesting on roofs since a pair began nesting on our neighbor's roof two years ago.  This season, so far, I've found six families (each with 1 - 3 chicks). Five are within a block of the bay, near La Playa Cove.  (Ours is the outlier; we are more than half a mile from the bay and a little farther than that from the ocean.) This is the ideal time to look for them: The chicks (a little more than four weeks old) are big enough to walk around on the roofs and be seen but not yet able to fly.  I have two more suspect roofs but have not seen chicks on those yet.  If anyone is actually interested in this and wants more detail, let me know.

======================
Sara Mayers
Point Loma (San Diego)
======================

Matt Sadowski

Sara,

On 9 June 2017 I had what I thought was a potentially nesting WEGU on a house in upper residential Pt. Loma doing agitated calls. I didn't note the street but remember it being probably Jennings or Wilcox east of Catalina.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S37493397
They nest on buildings in other parts of San Diego but strange seeing them on a low rooftop in heavily wooded Pt. Loma. Easy prey it would seem.

Matt Sadowski

On 7/4/2021 1:21 PM, Sara Baase Mayers wrote:
I've been watching for Western Gulls nesting on roofs since a pair began nesting on our neighbor's roof two years ago.  This season, so far, I've found six families (each with 1 - 3 chicks). Five are within a block of the bay, near La Playa Cove.  (Ours is the outlier; we are more than half a mile from the bay and a little farther than that from the ocean.) This is the ideal time to look for them: The chicks (a little more than four weeks old) are big enough to walk around on the roofs and be seen but not yet able to fly.  I have two more suspect roofs but have not seen chicks on those yet.  If anyone is actually interested in this and wants more detail, let me know.

======================
Sara Mayers
Point Loma (San Diego)
======================