Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and Semipalmated Sandpiper, Saltworks, 7/27

Matt Sadowski

Lea "what's that big brown thing" Squires and I found an adult Sharp-tailed Sandpiper in the (off limits) South Bay Salt Works today during the incoming tide on an interior pond not visible from the bike path (pond 21). With Peregrine flushing shorebirds the bird went missing for a bit but we were able to refind it in the extreme northeast corner of saltworks (pond 15), where we then promptly lost it again. At this point the bird could show up anywhere. Tide will be low this afternoon so the bird could pop up at J St. Flats or Emory Cove, or could just continue to lurk somewhere in saltworks. With afternoon heat distortion it's pretty pointless to try scoping pond 22 off the end of 13th Street today but tomorrow morning it would be a good idea as that is where a lot of the shorebird action is right now. Pond 20 to the east is now full again so no point in walking down there.

Saw my first peep in juvenal plumage today, and as is sometimes the case, it was a Semipalmated Sandpiper. The bird was in pond 22 off 13th, but along the S shoreline, so not visible from the bike path. Just getting the word out as there is probably a juv. Semi coming to a peep flock near you.

Photos in eBird later.

Matt Sadowski

On 7/27/2021 4:40 PM, Matt Sadowski wrote:
[...]

John Sterling

Could be same Sharp-tailed Sandpiper that was on restricted access property in the southern Central Valley two days ago…it was not seen afterward.

John Sterling
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695