Scissor-tailed flycatcher at Dairy Mart Ponds

Martha Wild

I had a scissor-tailed flycatcher this morning, about 9:15, at Dairy Mart Pond, just to the south of the first blind, on the other side in a tree with two Cassin’s Kingbirds. Sorry I don’t have a camera - yet. But another birder came along - it had flown further away and could only be seen as a silhouette but the split tail was visible. I’d never seen one before and didn’t know what it was - but it was very light gray to almost white, slender, a little smaller than the Cassin’s, about the size of a mockingbird body, with a long, long, long white two piece tail, longer than the body. Not many birds look like that, so I’m pretty sure that’s what it had to be. Kathryn Wendel said one had been reported previously.

It flew further south and towards the road. I looked again later, as I came back up the road from the southern parking lot, and saw and heard many kingbirds but did not see the scissor-tail again, though I would guess that it would still be in the area.

Martha Wild