Topics

Santee Lakes Northern Parula and Hybrid Sapsucker

Lisa Ruby

Hi,

After visiting with the Rusty Blackbird at Robb Field (thanks Justyn!) I joined Ter Hurst at Santee Lakes in hopes of seeing the Northern Parula. Got only a fast look at it at the very top of a tree near the picnic tables next to Lake 2, after which it flew west towards the creek, looking like it wasn't planning to stop for a bit. Wandered around for a long time and couldn't refind it.

While watching for the Parula I spotted what I believe is a Red-naped x Red-breasted Sapsucker in the same picnic table area by Lake 2 where the Parula has been reported. First saw it land in one of the pines after which it moved west from tree to tree. Seems likely it would be the same bird reported by Dan Jehl in November, but our photos were taken in different light and at different angles, so I'm finding it hard to compare them. Photos of that bird in this list:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S62095006

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs

--