Topics

Salmonellosis outbreak among Pine Siskins and Lesser Goldfinches at feeders?

Susan Smith

Hello San Diego Region Birders,

People who have bird feeders at my condo complex in Ruette le Parc have noticed dead Lesser Goldfinches finches at their feeders over the past ten days.   As you know, we have had quite an influx of Pine Siskins this year, which have been joining the Lessers and House finches at the feeders.  It is possible that this is part of a larger outbreak of finch mortalities in California, as the California Dept of Fish & Wildlife recently this month issued a warning about a Salmonellosis outbreak this winter.  Pine Siskins appear to be the primary species affected by the outbreak, but the disease has also been reported in smaller numbers of lesser goldfinches and American goldfinches.  People also need to be careful about handling these feeders. Here is the link to the CDF&W press release:

Another link to info on salmonellosis is at  https://wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Laboratories/Wildlife-Investigations/Avian-Investigations#536232078-salmonellosis    At this  site they say that you can also report to the CF&W's  Wildlife Investigations Lab using their form or by phone at (916) 358‐2790 or e-mail WILAB@....

 Sue

Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological  Consulting
Del Mar, CA