Safari Park

Nancy Christensen

I paid a visit to Safari Park this morning specifically to check the status of the breeding colony. As I suspected, it is too early. There were at least two active BC night heron nests with noisy young. There were several snowy and great egrets present in really nice breeding plumage, but no sign of nesting. There was a handful of WF Ibis wandering in various enclosures. None have transitioned into breeding plumage yet. No cattle egrets at all. So, needs to be checked again in a couple of weeks.

I also checked the Konyn Dairy on Old Milky Way. No birds were feeding in sight of the road. Yesterday I did see a good sized flock of ibis fly out of the dairy in mid-afternoon, so the birds are there, but foraging in the back portion.