Red-necked Phalaropes yesterday, J Street Marina, Chula Vista

Yesterday around 9 a.m. we saw approx 20 Red-necked Phalaropes near J Street Marina in Chula Vista. We got off at Marina Parkway and headed west towards the marina - made u-turn and parked with the reeds and wetlands to our right - saw a Reddish Egret for a while, lots of gulls, terns, swallows, other shorebirds, then all of a sudden a flock of Red-necked Phalaropes emerged from the reeds and sat in the water for maybe a minute before flying off to the south.

I have marginally OK photos if anyone wants to see.

I had to go home to look at photos. I asked Paul Lehman, who helped me verify them as Red-necked Phalaropes.

Kris

On Jul 25, 2021, at 7:46 AM, terry hurst via groups.io <thurstycat61=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi all,
In case anyone is interested and is in the area there are currently 4 phalaropes at Lake Kumeyaay. Most likely the same birds reported as Red-necked reported by Joe Alsadi yesterday. Was able to get some terrible shots because a distance so a scope is recommended . Can be viewed at both the east and west end of the lake.

Terry Hurst
Santee