Red-necked Grebe off Bayview Park, Coronado 1/13

Nathan Goldberg

My friend Max Witynski and his brother Grant (visiting from Wisconsin) are at it again, this time finding a RED-NECKED GREBE from their whalewatching boat this morning (1/13) as they left the harbor. They had the bird from the boat (pictures too), and it was close enough to the shore in the channel that Max feels it should be scopeable from land.

The grebe was right off of Bayview Park, roughly at this pin:
https://goo.gl/maps/TtiFPmnd5m7qP8fy6. Bayview Park is just off of 1st Street and I Avenue on Coronado.

Good Birding,

Nathan Goldberg
San Diego

Charles Jackson

On a bike ride around the island yesterday, I looked for the Red-necked Grebe (1/16, Sunday) at 1000, but did not find it. I scanned from Bayview Park, the water was calm and flat and it was birdy in this corner of the bay. Lots of Surf Scoters and Buffleheads, cormorants and a Red-breasted Merganser (that caught a big fish), and a few Eared Grebes too, but no RNGR.

After that I scanned from the ferry landing pier just a little farther south, but very few birds on the water there. It was high tide, a falling tide.

At the Hotel Del I also did not find the Lesser Black-backed Gull, but I believe it is better to look at low tide.

Charles
San Diego

Sent from CJ’s iPhone📲