Red-footed booby continues at Imperial Beach Pier

lehman.paul@verizon.net

The red-footed booby reported yesterday by John Martin sitting on the Imperial Beach Pier continues at dawn on Friday morning. It is currently perched on top of a lamp post at the very end of the pier next to the closed, fenced-off restaurant building. John talked about how it looks unhealthy, although right now it doesn't seem too bad, other than it's mostly sleeping. Maybe when it gets hungry it will come to the main part of the pier and start begging from fishermen....

Rodney Gast

No Booby. 8:43. Got here 10mins after last sighting at 7:35. Must have been healthier and moved on or perched behind the closed restaurant. Either way a handful of birders are leaving without seeing it.

Rodney Gast
North Park

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 6:50 AM, lehman.paul@... via groups.io
<lehman.paul@...> wrote:
The red-footed booby reported yesterday by John Martin sitting on the Imperial Beach Pier continues at dawn on Friday morning. It is currently perched on top of a lamp post at the very end of the pier next to the closed, fenced-off restaurant building. John talked about how it looks unhealthy, although right now it doesn't seem too bad, other than it's mostly sleeping. Maybe when it gets hungry it will come to the main part of the pier and start begging from fishermen....

Matt Sadowski

If anybody wants a Bank Swallow there is one foraging up and down the beach with a few Barns south of Seacoast.

Matt Sadowski

<lehman.paul=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
The red-footed booby reported yesterday by John Martin sitting on the Imperial Beach Pier continues at dawn on Friday morning. It is currently perched on top of a lamp post at the very end of the pier next to the closed, fenced-off restaurant building. John talked about how it looks unhealthy, although right now it doesn't seem too bad, other than it's mostly sleeping. Maybe when it gets hungry it will come to the main part of the pier and start begging from fishermen....

Rodney Gast

I was informed by Paul L. if you're currently going for the Booby, do not walk all the way to the end of the pier. Your view will be blocked.

Instead go back about 100ft from the gate and look just over the left part of the roof. The bird could still be there. The gate to the restaurant opens at 11am.

Rodney Gast

<lehman.paul@...> wrote:
The red-footed booby reported yesterday by John Martin sitting on the Imperial Beach Pier continues at dawn on Friday morning. It is currently perched on top of a lamp post at the very end of the pier next to the closed, fenced-off restaurant building. John talked about how it looks unhealthy, although right now it doesn't seem too bad, other than it's mostly sleeping. Maybe when it gets hungry it will come to the main part of the pier and start begging from fishermen....

Matt Sadowski

Thanks. I'm doing plover survey at the mouth. Swallows all circling high up over a PEFA w prey way to the east now.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022, 09:39 Rodney Gast via groups.io <rggast=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Nick Thorpe

At 2:30pm 9/30, the Booby is back on top of the restaurant.
--
Nick Thorpe
University Heights

John Martin

My impression that the booby was unhealthy was based on how approachable it was.  I didn’t see any physical injury, soiled or oiled feathers.  But it was perched within a couple meters of people fishing, and the cluster of streams of whitewash on the rail suggested it had been there for a while.  It allowed me to walk right up and take the photos from a foot or two away.  I had to reach around the bird to get a ventral photo.  Even as I was right next to it, closed its eyes a lot.  I had to wait to get a photo of its head with its eye open.  It was more complacent than the gulls that are accustomed to hanging out among the fishers.

John Martin

On Sep 30, 2022, at 2:30 PM, Nick Thorpe <nick.thorpe49@...> wrote:

At 2:30pm 9/30, the Booby is back on top of the restaurant.
--
Nick Thorpe
University Heights

Beth

Juvenile Red footed booby still on the roof of the restaurant this morning.

On Sep 30, 2022, at 4:04 PM, John Martin via groups.io <xenozoon7@...> wrote:

[...]

Aaron Anderson

Red-footed booby still present at 245pm today. Sitting atop the restaurant at the end of the pier sleeping.
Happy birding,
Aaron Anderson