Red-faced Warbler

phil Pryde

    The RFWA was seen intermittently for most of Wed. morning. It was in the same E-W row of trees where it’s been previously reported, south of Monument Road about 100 yards west of Hollister.  I saw it between 10:45 and 11:00 mostly high in the trees near the west end of the line of trees.
    Here’s a request for others who were there this morning:  in addition to the RFWA, there were also at least 2 species of vireos in the trees, but both were highly uncooperative and the 3 of us that were birding together could never get a definitive look at either one, mainly because we were only seeing the underside. Both lacked white in the lore areas.
     One was mostly white underneath, including the chin area, had weak wing bars, and a medium strong white eye stripe. No apparent yellow on it. Since no one has reported anything out of the ordinary, I’m guessing this one was either a Warbling or Bell's.
    The other one was somewhat similar, but a little yellow in the breast area was visible. It had a fairly dark eye-stripe, reminiscent of a Red-eyed Vireo (but for various reasons probably wasn’t that).  Did anyone get a positive ID on a vireo with some yellow in the breast area and darkish eye-stripe?   If so, thanks for replying.

    p.s.:  A Red-naped Sapsucker was also seen in the same area.

Phil Pryde
San Carlos

Nancy Christensen

A Bells Vireo was singing while I was there, and I photograohed a Warbling Vireo.