Topics

Olive-sided Flycatcher in Rose Canyon

Charley Herzfeld

Just now at 3:30pm January 1 there was an Olive-sided Flycatcher at the top of a very large solitary sycamore tree here: 32.852201, -117.229750.  This is on a trail that is just north of and below Angell Avenue.  Best accessed from the Regents Road trailhead.

The bird had a white throat and belly with its flanks forming a dark vest. White tufts on the side of its rump were occasionally visible.

Over 10 minutes, the bird only flew around hawking once, and returned to its original perch.

The bird was also observed by Paul Rogers and, as we were leaving, one other local birder whose name I don't know but who will come back tomorrow to try and get a photograph.  When he walked up, he greeted us with the usual "See anything interesting?" and was I excited to say yes.

Also of interest in the immediate vicinity was a male Downy Woodpecker and a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

I've seen Olive-sided Flycatchers regularly over the years on spring bird walks (April/May) farther east in Rose Canyon closer to the Regents Road trailhead.

Charley Herzfeld
University City