Topics

Now three Vermillion Flycatcher s at the San Dieguito Rd. Horse Pastures, Nov 30, 2020

Susan Smith

Today there were 3 Vermillion Flycatchers at the San Dieguito Rd pullout overlooking the horse pastures (Del Mar/Fairbanks Ranch area).  I went there looking for the bright male VEFL that Sara Heinz reported and photographed yesterday at that spot.  I soon found the bright adult male, perched on and making forays from the chickenwire-covered fenceline bordering the far golf course as scoped from west end of the San Dieguito road pullout. Later, what looked to be female type (pale breast and head but bright red undercoverts and vent area) was a little further east perched atop an L shaped pipe near a kestrel (which made a pass at the flycatcher, but tho it flew off, returned to the same spot adjacent to the kestrel).  Then while scanning both birds, I found a third bird with more extensive white below, and was able to confirm all three birds in a single scan.   Justyn Stahl was the first to locate a VEFL here (imm. male)  last fall on 5 Oct 2019.

Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological  Consulting
Del Mar, CA
seiurus@...

--
Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological Consulting
Del Mar, CA

David Trissel

Male and female still there at 3:30 PM today. Male is still far out along the fence that separates the golf course from the horse pastures. Female came very close, landing on the fence directly out from the pullout / overlook where the fruit stand is on San Dieguito Rd. (for those not familiar with this spot). GPS of where I stood when scoping west: 32.984284,-117.204152

NOTE: While there, a flock of five Canada Geese and one Snow Goose flew over. They seemed to be circling the horse pastures, so I’m guessing they are still around but farther east.

David Trissel
San Diego, CA