Topics

North Clairmont Rec Center - Red-breasted Sapsucker and Dusky-capped Flycatcher

David Trissel

The Dusky-capped Flycatcher was seen before I arrived; I heard it call at around 11:00 but did not see it. It was seen and heard in the same area as reported yesterday just east of the tennis courts. I looked unsuccessfully for the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker I’d seen yesterday, but there was a Red-breasted Sapsucker in a small tree at the SW corner of the tennis courts. It stayed at least 30 minutes in the same tree and was still there when I left at 11:45. NOTE: This bird looks like a hybrid Red-breasted x Red-Naped Sapsucker. Extensive red on the breast, head and face, but also plenty of black and white on the cheeks. Other birders were present and obtained plenty of good photos. Perhaps someone can examine those photos and provide a positive identification. GPS for Red-breasted Sapsucker here: 32.832019,-117.197273

David Trissel
San Diego, CA